I presented at a Domino Developer's conference in Boston a few weeks ago and provided a sample application that I used in my session. Unfortunately I forgot that in Notes 8 (might have started in Notes 7, I don't remember) local encryption is turned on by default. I got an email from a participant last week telling me he couldn't access the database so I had to create a new copy without local encryption and send it to him and to the conference. How silly.
I had to contact the conference people and get them a copy. If you attended the session and have the encrypted database on the conference CD, just contact the conference people or me (using the email address in the presentation) and you'll get a new copy.
I'm John M. Wargo. I'm a geek, not a nerd (there is a difference). I've been a professional application developer for my entire professional career.I'm currently a Principal Program Manager at Microsoft, working on the back-end Azure services for Mobile Center.
I registered this domain and built this site as a way for me to post information about different and interesting things I encountered in the technical world. I'm pretty opinionated, so when I see something silly in the world, especially in mobile applications, I write about it. I've written 6 books on mobile development (refer to the Books area of the site for more information) plus a book for brand new Soccer Referees. I've also written many articles for several magazines and online publications.
Any opinion or comment I post on this site is my personal opinion only. Nothing I say here should be considered a statement made by my employer. It's just me saying what's on my mind at the time.
I hope you enjoy this site. Please feel free to ask some questions of me or even suggest topics. I get a lot of emails from readers and try to respond in a timely manner.
Broke the screen on my BlackBerry Bold 9000 Smartphone yesterday. While switching to an 8830 I had in a drawer, I encountered a 507 error while switching from one device to another. After much trial and error, I discovered that I had to pull the battery, connect the device to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and reload the device software. the problem was that it would get so far and give me a 507 error again. What I ultimately had to do is start the process again and put the battery in right when it finishes the software load and resets the device.
You can't have a battery in to reload from scratch, but you do have to have a battery in to restart after the load. It would have been nice if Desktop Manager had warned me. That would have saved me about 30 minutes of trial and error.